Home        About        Kelly's Favorites        Videos        Contact        Legal Disclaimer

Friday, April 17, 2015

Foodie Friday: Protein Pancake

It's Foodie Friday again!! I love pancakes! However, as delicious as pancakes are, they aren't the most healthy option, but they can be. A protein pancake is a healthy alternative to a regular pancake, and a great way to start your morning! Did you know you starting your day with a protein rich breakfast can help you stay feeling fuller longer? Carbs are fuel for the body, but protein is too. So start your day off right and get a good mix of both! There are so many different variations for protein pancakes, but the one I found and like the best so far, mostly because I can tweak it when I want to, is Joy Bauer's recipe. The serving size is one large pancake, which is exactly what this recipe makes! Now the only thing with protein pancakes, they can are nowhere near as moist as regular pancakes. However, you can cover it with a lid while it is cooking, as Joy Bauer suggests, and this does help. I have gotten used to the texture of this type of pancake, so it actually doesn't bother me that it is a little bit dry. I am more concerned with hoe it tastes anyway, and it is delicious!!

What You Will Need

Protein Pancakes(original recipe)

1/2 Cup Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
4 Egg Whites
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon(optional)

To this I also add 2 Tablespoons of ground flax-seed, I also like to add blueberries into the mix, and I like to top the pancake with a banana and just a little bit of all natural maple syrup. Sometimes I will substitute the sugar with honey. I also use 2 whole eggs, instead of 4 egg whites, I just prefer the whole egg. I have also tried mashing the banana up and adding it to the mix, which is also very tastey! Sometimes I substitute orange extract for the vanilla, just depends on what flavor I am going for.

To make this pancake, mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Spray a skillet with some non stick spray or coat the pan with a little bit of butter or oil. Poor the pancake mix onto the skillet and cook over a medium heat, when the top of the pancake stops making those little bubbles, flip it over. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook, when it is golden brown, it is done! Top it with your favorite fruit or eat it as is! I hope you enjoy this heart healthy breakfast!

Happy Friday and happy eating!

Delicious Protein Pancake

No comments:

Post a Comment